Navigation:     Home   About   News   Fiction   Links   Email  
Story Data

Posted August 2, 2010

Also linked at:
    Archive of Our Own
    Fanfiction.net
    Twisting the Hellmouth

Series: Ugly Black Dress

Title: No, I See How It Is

Author: Jedi Buttercup

Disclaimer: The words are mine; the worlds are not. I claim nothing but the plot.

Rating: PG-13.

Summary: B:tVS, SG-1, Atlantis. "So what do you think?" Sheppard drawled, leaning across the commissary table and giving her his best puppy-dog eyes. 700 words.

Spoilers: B:tVS post-"Chosen". SG-1 and Atlantis through seasons 8/1, then AU. Minor references for SGA 2.04, "Duet".


"So what do you think?" Sheppard drawled, leaning across the commissary table and giving her his best puppy-dog eyes.

Buffy rolled her eyes at him. She'd faced down any number of forceful expressions over the years, including not only the practically irresistable Willow Resolve Face but also Rodney McKay's patented You-Touched-What Glare of Doom; the only reason her team leader blipped the scale at all was because of that gravity-defying hair of his. She'd swear it had a life of its own.

"Why ask? You've already made up your mind you want him," she said. She paused half a beat, then smiled sweetly, pushing her empty tray to one side and steepling her hands on the table. "On the team, that is."

He sat back a little at that, raising his eyebrows in affront; the hair did a little shimmy of its own above his brow. "Aw, c'mon. It's not like I want to kick you off; there's plenty of teams with five members back at the SGC. Maybe not Jackson's team, but...." He shrugged. "And I seriously think this guy could bring a lot to the table."

Buffy pursed her lips, tipping her chin up a little to display her disdain for that line of argument. "No, I see how it is," she said. "The girl with the superhero powers is old news; now you want the guy with the supercool space gun."

Sheppard snorted, and the corners of his mouth twitched in suppressed amusement. "Well, it is a pretty cool gun," he admitted, then heaved a theatrical sigh. "This is about my asking you not to spar with him earlier, isn't it?"

She turned her head to one side, giving him an uptilted profile, and raised one hand as though to inspect her manicure: a modified version of the Cordelia Cut Direct. Then she waited; he was so much fun to taunt. Not as hilarious as Rodney, or as satisfying as Daniel; but still, favorably reminiscent of the early years of the Scoobies. She missed the old gang since they'd all drifted apart, but she'd more than found a new home with Daniel and her new teammates.

He groaned. "Come on. It's not like I was trying to protect you. I just didn't want you to crush his ego his first day here!"

She allowed a glance back in his direction at that, and lowered the hand, drumming her fingers on the table. It was a pain in the butt to keep her nails done a galaxy away from any beauty professionals, but it was worth it for the annoyance factor the shellacked tips could deliver. "A likely story," she sniffed.

"...What story?" the half-distracted voice of her boyfriend asked behind her; and Sheppard looked up to greet the new arrival with the same pleading expression he'd tried on her.

"Dr. Jackson!" he said, respectfully. "I was just explaining to Summers that I thought Ronon would make an excellent addition to Response Team One."

Daniel stopped in his tracks, narrowing intense blue eyes behind his glasses as he glanced from one to the other of them. "I assume you've already talked to Elizabeth?" he asked, warily.

Buffy met gazes with Sheppard for a moment; yeah, he had. Which, she assumed, was why he was petitioning her-- so they could form a united front.

"I'll leave you to it, then," Daniel added dryly, and turned to head for Radek's table instead.

Buffy stuck her tongue out after him, then raised an eyebrow at Sheppard, daring him to tease her for it.

He smiled instead, and spread his hands in acquiescence. "Okay, you twisted my arm," he said. "He's in the training room whaling on the Marines. Just don't break him, okay?"

"I haven't broken the rest of you yet, have I?" she said lightly, grinning her appreciation as she popped up from the table.

"Not for lack of trying," Sheppard drawled. "Though I have to say, the thing with the monkeys? McKay's getting pretty damned creative with his comebacks."

"I know," Buffy smirked. "How long do you think it'll take the new guy to learn?"

"Heaven help us," Sheppard chuckled. Then he waved her off. "Shoo. Go have fun."

 

Go to: Top | Series Index | Buffyverse Xover Series | Fan Fiction Index


© 2010 Jedi Buttercup.