Navigation:     Home   About   News   Fiction   Links   Email  
Story Data

Posted July 14, 2011

Also linked at:
    Archive of Our Own
    Fanfiction.net
    Twisting the Hellmouth

Series: Eureka Moments

Title: Ho Ho Home Sweet Home

Author: Jedi Buttercup

Disclaimer: The words are mine; the world is not. I claim nothing but the plot.

Rating: PG.

Summary: Everyone deserved a dash of magic and mystery in their lives. 400 words.

Spoilers: Eureka 4.10 "O Little Town"

Notes: I couldn't just jump into season 4.5 without tackling the holiday special, could I? Even if it was completely impossible to take seriously.


Jack smiled to himself as the kids he'd been talking to got up and left the café, much cheerier after the chocolate and the Christmas story he'd told them.

He'd had a lot of fun making up that particular tale. He'd taken a mishmash of events from both old and new timelines to give it that authentic flavor, added some character detail to showcase the softer side of the adults running the town, then mixed in a sprinkling of pop culture moments for the entertainment factor: it had come out pretty well for something created on the fly, in his opinion. He was particularly proud of the Indiana Jones moment he'd given himself with the oversized Christmas ornament, not to mention the dueling Secret Santa threads. Jo really was a secret softy under the action figure attitude, and the actual Santa in disguise had been calculated to tickle that universal childhood sense of wonder.

Even in a zealously scientific town like Eureka, where children were probably able to logic out the impossibility of circumnavigating the globe in a sleigh while they were still taking naps every afternoon, they deserved a dash of magic and mystery in their lives. Everyone did, really; and Taggart's Santology lab had been the perfect vector for it. He really had run one up at G.D. for awhile, until he'd made the mistake of catching Stark in his Santa nets one day.

Actually, pretty much everything Jack had told the kids really could have happened as he'd told it... except probably some of the technical details, which he'd fudged up for plot's sake. One-eleven IQ, et cetera. But the holiday flavored mishaps and coincidences and his own frustrated flailing had practically written themselves once he'd got going, like one of the stories he wasn't supposed to know Zoe helped S.A.R.A.H. write about the monster show with the brothers in the Impala. And they'd eaten it up with a spoon, whatever they'd said about it giving them cavities; he'd seen the rapt looks on their faces.

He sat there a moment longer, daydreaming as he finished his own cup of chocolate, and imagined how the evening in his story-world might have ended. Then he shook his head and got up, eager to explore the ending the real world held for him.

A very merry Christmas to all-- but especially his friends and family right there in Eureka.

 

Go to: Top | Series Index | Serial Fiction (Other) | Fan Fiction Index


© 2011 Jedi Buttercup.