Navigation:     Home   About   News   Fiction   Links   Email  
Story Data

Posted July 18, 2011

Also linked at:
    Archive of Our Own
    Fanfiction.net
    Twisting the Hellmouth

Series: Eureka Moments

Title: Baby, The Skies'll Be Blue

Author: Jedi Buttercup

Disclaimer: The words are mine; the world is not. I claim nothing but the plot.

Rating: PG.

Summary: It had felt good, being the director of G.D. again, even if only for a day. 500 words.

Spoilers: Eureka 4.11 "Liftoff"

Notes: I've seen lots of Jo/Zane reaction... but another couple in this episode faced an equally important milestone, I thought. Title from "Happy Together" by the Turtles.


It had felt good; Allison wouldn't lie to herself. Being the director of G.D. again, even if only for a day. Fargo was really starting to grow into the position, enough that she had begun to relax and enjoy the reduction in stress and the extra time available to spend with her loved ones. Still, there had been days when she'd missed having that level of control, not to mention the opportunity to utilize more of her personal and professional strengths than her medical degree.

One thing she hadn't missed, though? The increased potential for conflict between her official role in Eureka and her lover's.

Would she and Jack have ever have taken that plunge in the other world, given the circumstances? Both of them had been burned by the wavering line between work and private lives before. They'd learned from past experience the downfalls of letting a relationship affect their behavior on the job, and vice versa-- but they were only human, and their track records were against them. Fortunately, the altered timeline had put them in a position of working together more than against each other, building a foundation that could weather the inevitable conflicts.

Today had been a good example of that. It would take some time to renegotiate boundaries in this new arena, naturally. But rather than take offense at their first clash of wills since they'd started sleeping together, Jack had actually come to her to try and talk it out afterward-- and rather than lash back, she'd been calm enough to both explain what had upset her and draw a line for him.

Just because they had certain privileges in each other's lives now, they didn't have the right to simply assume they could speak for each other, especially in professional situations. Especially when lives were at risk. That was why she wanted to maintain the distinction between 'Jack' and 'Carter', actually; to keep one name for their private lives, and use the other for work. She wouldn't ask him to do the same thing-- but it would make things easier if he respected her cues.

She was pretty sure he would, once he got used to it. He wasn't perfect, but then again neither was she, and in her admittedly biased opinion they complemented each other rather well. They were like puzzle pieces who'd spent the last four years slowly changing shape until they clicked in place precisely... so all they had to do was put some effort into changing together from there on out.

The honeymoon phase might be over, but that didn't mean the next stage had to be any less passionate or fulfilling. Nathan had taught her that. So had Henry and Grace, as she'd watched them falter over impossible obstacles only to bind together stronger than any other couple she knew.

Her life with Jack might never be simple-- but they were Eurekans. Complicated was their way of life.

They'd figure it out. Together. Just like they always did.

 

Go to: Top | Series Index | Serial Fiction (Other) | Fan Fiction Index


© 2011 Jedi Buttercup.