Navigation:     Home   About   News   Fiction   Links   Email  
Story Data

Posted September 19, 2011

Also linked at:
    Archive of Our Own
    Fanfiction.net
    Twisting the Hellmouth

Series: Eureka Moments

Title: Love Bytes

Author: Jedi Buttercup

Disclaimer: The words are mine; the world is not. I claim nothing but the plot.

Rating: PG.

Summary: As absolutely bizarre as it still seemed for his android deputy to be dating his smart house, Jack had to admit, they made an adorable couple. 400 words.

Spoilers: Eureka 4.19 "One Small Step"


Jack couldn't help but smile as Andy walked out of S.A.R.A.H.'s core room the morning after the guano/Titan disaster. He was wearing those robot pajamas again-- robots, really?-- and that ridiculously cheerful grin of his, but somehow, it seemed a lot less, well, ridiculous, after everything that had happened.

As absolutely bizarre as it still seemed for his android deputy to be dating his smart house, Jack had to admit, they made an adorable couple. More functional than some of his relationships, too, and hell, most of Jo's since he'd come to Eureka; he didn't think he'd realized, not until each of them had begged him to convey their dying love to the other, just how real they actually were. And not just their emotions: their identities. They were unique, and more than just novel pieces of technology-- they were individual people, as irreplaceable as any of his other friends.

He supposed it made him kind of a jerk that it had taken him so long to realize that. He'd always liked them-- after the obligatory rocky introductions-- but he'd always felt just that little bit of instinctive distance, a difficulty in seeing past their artificial origins. He'd seen the effects Callister's 'death' had had on Stark, and even sympathized; but he hadn't really understood, not until he'd seen Andy's freezing face and listened to the frightened tones in S.A.R.A.H.'s fading voice.

He was glad he'd been able to do something about solving the problem, even if it was only using a communications trick he was sure Henry would have remembered eventually-- they'd done pretty much the same thing that time Henry had been in prison and they'd needed him in Lab 27. Jack still didn't get how he'd been able to actually see from the hologram's perspective, much less in realtime on Titan, but... well, he wasn't going to break his brain over it. He'd been able to use it to save his deputy, who'd nearly sacrificed himself on Jack's behalf; that was what mattered.

So how could he even try to keep the lovebirds apart anymore? S.A.R.A.H. was her own house, not his. And if that meant Casa Carter's resident quota had gone up by yet one more-- or, hopefully, four? Ah, he could deal. Though he just knew his daughter was going to gasp, and coo, and laugh wildly when he informed her about the latest developments.

 

Go to: Top | Series Index | Serial Fiction (Other) | Fan Fiction Index


© 2011 Jedi Buttercup.